10 Reasons To Visit the Oregon Coast in February!February 11, 2017 | by Oregon Coast Cottage Rentals Staff
As winter comes to a … no that’s not true, winter is still here on the Oregon Coast, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t anything to do. During the month of February, the coast has plenty of activities to get yourself out of the rain or at least enjoy it! Take a look through some of our favorite things to do this month!
1. Devil’s Punch BowlBetween Bella Beach and Newport, lays the Devils Punch Bowl. What once was a sea cave thousands of years ago, has been turned into an explorer’s paradise. People come from all over to witness this beautiful landmark. Interested in making a day out of it? Well, there are picnic tables at the Devil’s Punch Bowl State Park and tide pools north of the punch bowl, plus a beach which is perfect for surfing!
3. Seafood and Wine FestivalInterested in tasting the local cuisine? On February 23rd-26th Newport will be hosting their annual Seafood and Wine Festival. For over 39 years, local wineries and restaurants get together and share the taste of the Oregon Coast. This 21 and older event is held right across the way from Rogue Brewery and provides a perfect weekend for guests that love crafts and good food.
4. Antique WeekDuring the dates of February 11-20th, Lincoln City will be hosting its annual Antique Week. Each year more than 100 stores within the community get together and host a week of discounts, float drops and a Quilt Quest Treasure hunt. From books to hidden treasure, you are bound to find that perfect something. So grab your favorite shopping buddy and make your way to the Oregon coast for a week of fun!
5. Finders KeepersThere is so much to see and do on the Oregon Coast, but your vacation wouldn’t be complete until you find a glass float! Throughout the month of February, local glass blowers take their floats to the beach and play a little hide and seek. Not only will they be the standard glass floats, but during the weekend of Valentine’s Day, they will be placing heart-shaped floats on Lincoln Cities local beaches. If you can’t make it for Valentine’s Day, during Antique Week they will also be dropping 300 antique Japanese floats. Good luck!
6. Oregon Coast AquariumThe kids showing signs of restlessness? Well take a trip down to Newport and enjoy a day at the Oregon Coast Aquarium. From otter feedings to behind the scene tours, there is a little something for every animal lover. The aquarium is open from 10 am to 5:00 pm daily and offers a great escape from the Oregon rainy weather!
Throughout Lincoln City, there are many galleries to explore. From paintings to pottery, the Oregon Coast is a perfect getaway for art enthusiasts. Ryan Gallery, Mossy Creek Pottery, and Freed gallery are some of our favorites. Each one has a different way to show their love for the Oregon Coast. Not sure which one to go to first? Head over to http://www.oregoncoast.org/shopping/#art-galleries and find exactly what you are looking for!
7. Art Galleries
Ever wonder how Tillamook Cheese or Tillamook Ice Cream is made? Well look no further, about 45 minutes outside of Lincoln City is the home where anything Tillamook is made. Enjoy a self-guided tour through the factory and witness the cheese making process. Afterward, taste test the many kinds of cheeses they offer and jump in line to have some of the best ice cream ever made.
8. Tillamook Cheese Factory
9. Beach Combing ClinicInterested in how the local rock shops find the best agates and shells? Take a lesson from the professionals and join the Beach combing Clinic. On the 8th, 16th and the 24th of February. Nelscott’s own Laura Joki, who owns the best rock shop in town, will be guiding participants along the beach and helping them find little treasures the ocean has to offer. Please head over to the website if you have any questions!
10. Yaquina Head LighthouseNot only is the Oregon Coast known for their beautiful ocean views but the local lighthouses are a sight of their own. Just about ten minutes from Bella Beach sits the Yaquina Head Lighthouse! Built in 1868 in Paris, the Yaquina Bay is a working lighthouse and an aid to navigation local fisherman out at sea. Yaquina Head Lighthouse was even featured in the movie The Ring in 2002! Take a day trip and explore the many things Yaquina Bay has to over!
Those are just some of our favorite things to do on the Oregon Coast in February, there is so much more to explore and enjoy! So get out of the rain and make your way to the Coast to enjoy the Oregon sunshine.
C O S T A B E L L A
This beautiful new home was introduced to the Bella Beach program this month and is a fantastic place to spend your coastal getaway! Find out how amazing Costa Bella is here.